Aloe Vera for Acne – Does Aloe Vera Help Cure Acne?
5 Easy Ways to Eliminate Your Acne With Aloe Vera
Anyone who suffers from acne, if only occasionally, has almost certainly spent lots of time – and often plenty of money – trying to find effective ways to get rid of acne and acne scars. From multi product acne kits purchased via a flashy TV or Internet ad to expensive creams and serums from big name beauty brands to prescription meds and doctor’s office procedures people often seek out any way they can to try to get rid of their acne.
While some of these treatments work some of the time, all too often acne sufferers are left with a much emptier bank account but not too much of an improvement in their skin. Or, worse still, they pick a product that is a little too harsh and end up doing more damage to skin than good.
The Case for Natural Acne Treatments
An alternative that some, often very fed up, acne sufferers consider are natural acne treatments. Although many have been around for centuries, over the past decade or so alternative and naturopathic treatments have become more widespread – and better respected – in general, and that does extend to acne treatment.
There are some pretty good reasons why you should consider looking to Mother Nature to help you get rid of acne. Maybe the most obvious one is the lower cost, but these treatments are also easy to use and, very importantly to some, you are not covering your skin – or filling your body – with artificial ingredients and potentially harmful chemicals.
There are, as you’ll find once you start doing even a little bit of research, a number of popular natural remedies for acne but one of the most effective may be waiting for you in the strangest of places; your local garden center.
All About Amazing Aloe
That natural ‘magic’ waiting for you at the garden center is the amazing aloe vera plant. It looks like a cactus – but isn’t – and apart from being a rather nice addition to your houseplant collection it can be a powerful weapon in your fight against acne and acne scarring.
In fact, aloe vera, which is just one of dozens off succulents that fall into the aloe family, has long been prized for its general medicinal properties. In Ancient Egypt, they were so fond of using it for everything from healing burns to using its gel to help create a better eyeliner that they called it the ‘Plant of Immortality’ and as they considered it such made sure that it was in the burial chambers of all nobles and Pharaohs to make use of in the afterlife.
While no one these days actually believes that aloe vera grants eternal life most do agree that it is a natural wonder in many ways. That’ because, in large part, of the glucomannan it contains. Glucomannan is a natural sugar but unlike most other sugars it can actually be good for you as it boasts some pretty potent healing powers.
You may be most familiar with using aloe vera in gel form to relieve the pain of sunburn. And if you have tried that then you know it works like a dream. And that is thanks to the soothing and healing properties of glucomannan, properties that can also be used to fight acne as well as the scars and dark spots acne can be left behind.
What Form of Aloe Vera Should I Use in Acne Treatment?
Although it is, as we mentioned, a succulent plant that is easy to find at garden centers and home stores that is not the only way you can buy aloe vera
The ideal way to get aloe vera to treat acne is to ‘juice’ an aloe vera plant itself and doing so is fortunately pretty easy:
- Remove a leaf from the aloe vera plant
- Rinse the leaf in cool (not ice cold) water
- Using a sharp utility knife, slit one of the edges of the leaf and open it out.
- Scrape out the gel you will find in the leaf onto a clean plate or dish.
- Discard any very dark green gel as that is no longer ‘active’
- Use the gel as soon as possible and cover and refrigerate leftovers for later use
Don’t want to go to all of that hassle, or mutilate your poor little houseplant every time you want to treat your acne? Then the pure aloe vera juice sold in many health food stores is almost as good. When shopping for the juice though keep the following in mind:
- Look for the The International Aloe Science Council Seal. That means the product is at least 95% real aloe vera and can pass a number of quality tests.
- Avoid concentrated aloe vera juice. To reconstitute it one must add a significant amount of water. That’s fine for drinking but not for effectively treating acne.
- Avoid previously frozen aloe vera juice. Freezing affects the potency of glucomannan, making the aloe vera less effective for topical use.
In a pinch, if neither of these options seems available to you then off the shelf aloe vera gel can be substituted, although it will not be quite as effective as aloe vera juice against acne and acne scars. Again, look for that IASC seal and make sure the gel contains no artificial additives or colors.
Best Ways to Get Rid of Acne with Aloe Vera
Now that you know all about aloe vera and where – and how – to buy it it’s about time we got down to the nitty gritty of just how best to use it to battle both active acne pimples, whiteheads, blackheads and the ugly scars and dark spots healed acne can leave behind.
1. Aloe Vera Alone to Get Rid of Acne
As a simple, standalone aloe vera can, when used regularly help combat active acne and old acne marks:
- And aloe vera juice/gel to a small clean bowl
- Using a clean cotton ball apply the juice directly to the areas to be treated.
- Leave on overnight, or for at least 2-3 hours if that is not possible.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and cleanse skin as usual
- Repeat every other day for the best results.
2. Aloe Vera and Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Acne
Tea tree oil is another very popular and widely used natural acne treatment that boasts powerful antibacterial powers. Used in combination with aloe vera the acne fighting powers of both are enhanced and the moisturizing properties of aloe counteract the sometimes rather drying effects of tea tree oil alone.
- In a small, clean bowl combine 1 tablespoon of aloe vera juice with 4-6 drops of tea tree oil.
- Mix well
- Using a clean cotton ball, Apply the mixture to affected areas of the skin and leave in place for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse the aloe mixture off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat several times a week for the best results
3. Aloe Vera and Honey to get Rid of Acne
- While the naturally antibacterial honey attacks acne causing bacteria aloe vera will cleanse and soften skin while also helping to heal acne pimples:
- In a small bowl combine one teaspoon of raw honey with one teaspoon of aloe vera
- Apply to affected areas using a clean cotton ball
- Leave in place for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse off with lukewarm water
- Repeat biweekly for the best results.
4. Aloe Vera and Lemon Juice
This all natural combination of ingredients is a great way to fade stubborn acne scars: For the best results use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
In a small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel/juice with 6-8 drops of lemon juice
- Mix well
- Apply to affected areas with a clean cotton ball
- Leave in place for at least an hour, overnight if possible
- Rinse off with lukewarm water
- Repeat every few days for the best results.
If you are juicing an aloe vera plant to get the gel to treat your acne, you can also use aloe vera and lemon juice to make a potent acne fighting mask for weekly use:
- Remove an aloe vera leaf from your plant.
- Place the leaf in a bowl and mash it with a little water. The mixture should be lumpy, not smooth though.
- Crack and separate one egg, set yolk aside.
- Mix egg white into mashed aloe vera
- Add 4-6 drops lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture as a mask and leave in place until dry.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
5. Milky Sugar Aloe Vera Mask
Not only will this mask help fight active acne and soften acne scars it will also brighten up dull skin very effectively:
- In a small bowl combine ¾ tablespoon of milk with a tablespoon of sugar.
- Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Mixture will be a little thick but that is normal.
- Add 1 tablespoon aloe vera juice/gel
- Stir again until well combined
- Apply to entire face, mask style
- Leave in place for 20-30 minutes
- Rinse off with lukewarm water
- Repeat once a week for the best results
Ready to try using the power of aloe vera to get rid of embarrassing acne and acne scars? Well what are you waiting for? Give a few – or all – of these treatments a try and then don’t forget to check back in with us to share which of them worked best for you.