How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Acne
There is no beating about the bush on this one; acne sucks. Whether it is in the form of whiteheads, blackheads, raised angry pimples or those nasty little zits that hide under the skin it’s just terrible stuff. It looks awful (although it probably looks a lot worse to you than to other people), and it often hurts. It saps your self-confidence and the amount of time and product you spend trying to cover it up can be ridiculous (really, eight YouTube makeup tutorials and you still haven’t gotten it quite right.)
With all of this in mind it is hardly surprising that those of us who do suffer with acne – even if it is only the occasional breakout – will try almost anything to get rid of it. And often spend a small fortune in the process.
Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet cure for acne. If anyone ever comes up with one you can be assured that they will become a very rich person very quickly. In the meantime, however, some of the most effective ways to treat acne can often be by searching the kitchen cabinet and/or the grocery store for natural ingredients that can be used as a treatment to get rid of acne. And one of those ingredients, in fact one of the best known and most powerful, is apple cider vinegar.
What Apple Cider Vinegar Really Is
No doubt you think you know what apple cider vinegar is. It’s that pale yellowish stuff in the bottle at the back of your kitchen cabinet. Well yes, it is, but it’s also a lot more than that.
Apple cider vinegar, as its name suggests, is made from apples. When it is made organically – and that is the best stuff for acne treatment purposes – apples are crushed to obtain the juice, juice that is then filtered to remove pulp. That done, yeast is added to begin the fermentation process, the natural sugars are turned to alcohol and that point one has apple cider (that yummy stuff we all enjoy in the Fall)
To make apple cider vinegar a second fermentation converts the alcohol into vinegar and that characteristic sour taste confirms that the process is complete. There are lots of uses for apple cider vinegar, making it a handy thing to have around the house in general, but here we are, as you have gathered by now, focusing on what it can do to help you heal and prevent acne of all kinds.
How Does Apple Cider Get Rid of Acne?
There are several reasons why apple cider vinegar is such an effective natural ‘acne killer’:
- It boasts potent antibacterial properties that help keep combat acne causing bacteria on the skin.
- It’s a natural alpha hydroxy acid that gently but effectively removes dead skin cells that can clog pores,
- It has antioxidant properties that help protect the skin from free radical damage.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties help to reduce redness and inflammation of acne pimples.
- Apple cider vinegar is also a natural astringent, helping to dry out pimples faster.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Toner to Get Rid of Acne
Thanks to its natural astringent powers, apple cider vinegar make an excellent daily toner that will help clear up existing acne and help prevent new acne from forming.
- In a small mixing bowl combine 1 part apple cider vinegar with 1 part distilled water (increase to 2 parts for very sensitive skin)
- Using a cotton ball apply the mixture to the entire face.
- Leave on for 5 to 15 minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat daily for best results.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda
Baking soda has so many different uses that that one little yellow box, that costs about a dollar, is one of the best investments you can make! And when you mix baking soda with apple cider vinegar you get an invigorating, slightly fizzy face mask that goes to work on acne right away.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 -3 tablespoons of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix until you are left with a smooth paste
- Apply to face, mask-like, immediately, to take advantage of the bubbly, effervescent feeling that is rather refreshing.
- Leave in place for 10-15 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week for the best results.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar and Onion Juice to Get Rid of Acne
This is a great treatment for cystic acne pimples, as it combines two rather powerful natural astringents that can dry out even the nastiest of zits without leaving behind ugly scarring.
- Prepare onion juice by blending a skinned onion and then sieving lumps from the juice. Chill for an hour or so in the fridge before using.
- When the onion juice is properly chilled combine it, in equal parts, in a small mixing bowl, with apple cider vinegar.
- Apply the mixture directly to pimples and leave on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse away with lukewarm water
- Repeat daily until the pimples are healed.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey to Get Rid of Acne
Honey has natural antibiotic and antiseptic abilities and is a gentle, but effective moisturizer. It can be used alone to treat acne and help minimize the appearance of acne scars, but in combination with apple cider vinegar the treatment becomes even more effective.
- Begin by washing the face as usual and patting dry.
- Using raw, organic honey for the best effect apply honey directly to pimples with a clean cotton ball.
- Leave in place for 5-10 minutes. ‘
- While you wait, combine equal parts of apple cider vinegar and distilled water in a small bowl.
- Use vinegar and water mix to remove honey from skin
- Follow up with a lukewarm water rinse to remove any remaining traces of honey.
- Repeat once a week for the best results.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar for Bacne
Back acne – aka bacne – is not easy to treat, mainly thanks to its awkward location. This spray treatment however can make treating it effectively far easier and more effective.
- In a plastic spray bottle mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and distilled water.
- Spray mixture onto back, as well as shoulders and chest if you are also prone to acne in those areas.
- Leave in place for 15 minutes
- Shower as usual, ensuring that all the vinegar mix has been rinsed away before you ‘lather up’. Choose a PH balanced soap or body wash though so that you do not undo all the good work the ACV has just done!
- Repeat every time you shower for the best results.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar as an Internal Acne Fighter
According to many holistic practitioners and natural beauty experts if you want to get the most out of the treatments we have just been discussing you should drink a little apple cider vinegar as well. Doing so helps clear the body of toxins – toxins that can cause acne – and helps keep bacteria at bay.
If you can’t muster the courage to ‘drink’ the apple cider vinegar as a straight shot, there are alternatives. Adding honey helps to take away the very acidic taste and you can dilute it with distilled water. To get noticeable results you only need to consume about a tablespoon of ACV per day, so even if doing so is a little gross it will all be over quickly!
A Word About Ingredients
To get the most out of these treatments you should take the time to seek out the very best ingredients. Here are a few shopping tips to keep in mind:
- Choose raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar. As this has not been over processed, more of the powerful acne fighters you need have been left intact. The most popular brand in North America is Braggs, which can be found at health food stores and some larger supermarkets.
- Store your apple cider vinegar in a dark, cool cupboard, never in the refrigerator.
- It’s OK to buy the bulk sized bottle, as even raw apple cider vinegar lasts for months.
Ready to try one of these apple cider vinegar acne treatments to get rid of your pesky pimples? If do you won’t be alone. These treatments have become all the rage in Hollywood over the past few years, with Scarlett Johansson, Hilary Duff and Megan Fox to name just a few all self-admitted regular users of apple cider vinegar to fight acne. And when and if you do try one don’t forget to let us know how it went, we’d love to know.
You may be interested
Foods that Cause Acne. Or Do They?Christine Glasgow - May 11, 2017
Acne is complicated stuff, as anyone who suffers from it already knows. So many causes, possible causes and potential triggers.…
How to Use the Best Vitamins for Acne to Improve Your Skin From the Inside OutChristine Glasgow - May 11, 2017
If you suffer from even the mildest case of acne then chances are that you have tried all kinds of…
How to use toothpaste to get rid of acne fastChristine Glasgow - May 11, 2017
How to use toothpaste for acne Having pimples and acne is never fun. Watching a pimple pop up the day…