How to Get Rid of Blemishes Very Fast
No matter how young or old you might be the chances are that you have blemishes that sometimes make you feel insecure and rather frustrated that you don’t have the smooth, radiant complexion that models seem to be able to maintain with ease (they don’t. It’s called Photoshop but that’s a discussion for another time)
The fact is that no one really has perfect skin. Some however do know how to diminish, heal and even hide blemishes so that they are less of a worry and a hassle. And that’s what we are going to look at here.
What are Blemishes Anyway?
Blemish is a very broad term. It may refer to old acne scars – or fresh ones – dark spots, large pores, whiteheads, blackheads, pigmentation and more. For our purposes, here those are the kinds of skin flaws we are talking about anyway. The kinds of marks, large or small that rarely ever look anywhere near as ‘bad’ as we think but sap our self-confidence anyway.
Can You Really Get Rid of Blemishes?
Is it really possible to ‘get rid’ of blemishes? In some cases, yes. In others, you can soften and diminish their appearance to the point where really only you know they are there. How? Well, while there really is no magic bullet or one size fits all solution these tips, tricks and techniques have worked very well for many people in the past and so are well worth giving a try:
1. Using Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Blemishes
Lemon juice is a natural skin lightener and so can be used as an effective way to help lighten and diminish the appearance of dark spots and areas of hyperpigmentation. But that’s not all it can do. Its astringent properties help remove excess oils, diminish and close open pores and even help smooth skin, thanks to its exfoliating powers.
To make the most of the blemish banishing power of lemon juice to treat acne try the following:
- Add several teaspoons of fresh lemon juice to a small bowl.
- Apply to the whole face using a clean cotton ball.
- Leave in lace for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse away with lukewarm water.
- Repeat once every day for about four weeks for visible results.
2. Using Tomato Juice to Get Rid of Blemishes
Fresh tomato juice is great for making the perfect Bloody Mary but it can also be used as a powerful blemish fighter too. Tomatoes contain large amounts of lycopene, which helps reduce dark spots and hyperpigmentation, are rich in potent antioxidants and Vitamin C to nourish skin and encourage faster cell renewal and have naturally astringent properties to cleanse and close large pores.
Ready to try tomato power to help fight blemishes? Here’s how to get the best results:
- In a clean bowl, mash one large tomato into a pulp using a fork or the back of a spoon.
- Apply the pulp, mask like, to the affected areas.
- Leave on for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water.
- Repeat the treatment two to three times a week for the best results.
3. Using Orange Peels to Get Rid of Blemishes
Although not quite as effective as lemon juice, orange peel is a good natural skin lightener. It also offers the added benefit that it is, of course, a great source of potent Vitamin C which is, in itself, a wonderful all around skin treatment to diminish the appearance of all kinds of blemishes and visibly brighten the skin at the same time.
The best way to make use of orange peel in your skin care regimen is to reduce it to a powder to be used in a mask. To do so:
- Take fresh peel from one to two oranges and lay out to dry out on a sunny windowsill.
- Allow to dry for several days.
- Once dried out, add the peel to a blender and grind to a fine powder.
- Store in a tinted container so the orange peel powder will last for months. You can use it to make more skin treatments or to add some orange flavor to your cooking!
Once you do you have your homemade orange peel powder you can make a fabulous and skin nourishing blemish fighting mask that should reap you great results in just a few weeks. Here’s how:
- 2 teaspoons of your homemade orange peel powder
- 1 teaspoon of raw honey
- 1 teaspoon plain yogurt (Greek if possible as it has more live cultures to fight bacteria)
How It’s Done
- Combine all of your ingredients in a small bowl and combine well to form a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste mask style to your face and leave on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing away.
The power of the orange peel, combined with the bacteria fighting power of the yogurt and the antibacterial and healing properties of the honey can have a very visible effect in terms of blemish reduction when used regularly for just a few weeks.
4. Use Cucumber to get Rid of Blemishes
Check any drugstore skincare aisle or beauty counter and you’ll notice that there are quite a large number of commercial products that make use of cucumber to increase their effectiveness. This is because cucumber has wonderful cooling and soothing properties, is a natural lightener and astringent and also boasts lots of skin friendly vitamins.
But you don’t have to spend a small fortune to make the most of the blemish fighting power of cucumber. All you really need to do is head to the grocery store – or your local farmer’s market – and pick up a fresh cucumber.
Once you have your produce in hand – and back in your kitchen – try the following:
- Chop the cucumber into slices and put them into your blender.
- Don’t liquefy it completely, just blend it to a thin paste.
- Apply the paste to the skin, leave on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse away with lukewarm water.
If you have particularly problematic discolorations and/or dark spots to get rid of adding a few drops of lemon juice to the cucumber paste will make it even more effective as a natural lightener.
You can also use cucumber as a daily mild astringent in place of harsher alcohol based toners. To make a great cucumber toner:
- Chop the cucumber into slices and add to your blender
- Add I teaspoon lemon juice
- Blend until the mixture is very runny
- Add the mixture to a lidded container and store in a cool dark place
- Apply toner daily using a cotton ball.
5. Using Banana Peel to Get Rid of Blemishes
Bananas are great tasting, versatile fruits that offer all kinds of health benefits. But did you know that even the peel can be useful if you use it as a weapon against blemishes?
The banana peel itself contains a number of rather powerful antioxidants to heal and soothe skin and the simple act of rubbing a banana peel over blemished skin on a regular, daily basis – you don’t even need to wash the banana ‘juice’ off – will visibly reduce the appearance of dark spots and acne scars within weeks.
Don’t Forget That Prevention is Better than Cure
While these are all great remedies can help repair skin damage, heal blemishes and improve the overall look and feel of your skin if you can prevent blemishes from ever becoming a problem it’s even better.
While it’s not really possible to prevent ALL blemishes, there are some small lifestyle tweaks you can make rather easily that can help keep some at bay. These include:
- Treat acne as soon as it appears
- Do not squeeze, pop or pick at pimples
- Maintain a sensible diet that contains lots of fruits and vegetables and minimal amounts of sugar.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water a day to help flush toxins from the body (and the skin)
- Always use a facial sunscreen, or SPF enhanced foundation, even in the winter. Doing so helps prevent discoloration and dark spots and may, of course, even more importantly, save you from premature wrinkles and even skin cancer.
- Look for cosmetics – especially foundations – that are labelled ‘non-comedogenic’. These products are formulated not to clog pores in the way that others might and so will help reduce the number of pimples that form on your skin in the first place.
- Avoid using products that dry out the skin too much. Even though some acne is caused by excess oils in the skin removing them all with harsh toners only causes the skin to overproduce oils to try to compensate, leading in many cases to even more pimples.
Now we’d like to hear from you. Have you tried any of these treatments? What are the biggest blemish challenges you face and what has worked to get rid of them? Have you found any other blemish fighting techniques not mentioned here that have worked for you? Let us know, we are always hoping to learn more!
You may be interested
9 Best Foundations for Acne Prone skin and Oily SkinChristine Glasgow - Jun 03, 2017
The Best Makeup & Foundation for Acne-Prone Skin For many, the thought of leaving the house without make up is…
Acne Face Map: What Does Acne Reveal About Your HealthChristine Glasgow - Jun 03, 2017
The Art of Acne Face Mapping Explained We can be sure that human beings have been battling acne since they…
Rodan and Fields Reviews – Do These Adult Acne Products Really Work?Christine Glasgow - Jun 03, 2017
The Truth Behind Rodan + Fields Products Rodan and Fields - as in Dr. Kathy Fields and Dr. Katie Rodan…